Obsessed With Isabella

This blog is dedicated to my daughter, Isabella. She is the smartest, strongest, most beautiful little girl you could ever meet. This is why she needs a blog all about her. Although she is the center of my life I will also share my opinions and ideas on other subjects, but mostly this will be about my little chunk-chunk.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a stay-at-home mom who has a daughter, Isabella,(born September 13th, 2004), with my favorite man in the world, her daddy, Doug.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Too much crying for mommy...

This morning we had Isabella's 1 year doctor appointment. It was definitely the worst one we've ever had. She had to get 2 shots, and they were given to her upper arms. Then they had to do a lead check. They had to stick a needle in her vein to get blood. Trust me, she did not like that at all.

During her visit with the doctor she asked about Isabella's talking and speech. Now, this is something I have been worrying about for probably a month now. I've read tons of stuff saying that by her age she should be saying a couple words. She should also be giving labels to things. Which means that she should say "baba" for bottle, or something along those lines. She doesn't do that. Doug thinks she does in a way, but I disagree. I'm not saying he's wrong I just don't notice it or something I guess. Anyways, she basically just says things like "alkdjnieowndk" for everything she points to. So the doctor decided to check her ears for fluids, and guess what....yup, she has lots of fluid in her ears. Her left one is really bad I guess. This means that in a month we have to go back to the doctors and they will check her ears again to see if the fluid is gone or has lessened. If not then we may have to have tubes put into her ears.

When I got home from the appointment I went online to see what putting tubes in my baby's ears would mean for her. I didn't realize that she would have to be put under anesthesia and they actually cut the inside of her ears. Doesn't that sound like fun? There is minimal risk involved, and and side-effects are rare too. One side effect that can happen is that there could be thickening of the scar tissue which could lead to hearing loss. Wow, great. I'm really, really hoping that she won't need tubes. If she does I am 99% sure that we will obviously let the doctor put tubes in her ears, but there's part of me that is scared. I don't want them cutting my babies ears open, and what about the anesthesia? She's never had that before so how do they know if it will kill her or not? I think I am blowing this way out of proportion, but that's too bad for you I guess. :) If there's still fluid in her ears I think the only option they have is to put tubes in. I don't think there's anything else they can do about it.

Hopefully by next month her ears will be dry and she'll be talking up a storm. Keep your fingers crossed, because if she needs surgery I will be one distraught woman.

Well, onto happier things...hmmmm...oh yeah, Happy Fall!!!! I'm so excited about fall. It's my favorite season. I love how it's cold, but not freezing. I love it! I just love everything about it from the weather, to the clothes, even to what's on tv. Can you say Vikings suck right now?

Tomorrow I am making chicken noodle soup. No, not the Campbell's kind. Homemade silly. We also bought cider so I'm going to make some cinnamon cider. Last night for supper I made sausage and kale soup. Surprisingly, it was really good. Even Isabella ate the sausage, which she isn't into meat really, so that was a good surprise.

I can't wait for Sunday...chili and football and cider and cleaning....yes Doug, cleaning :)

Well I'm off to go do something. Probably watch the news on Hurricane Rita. Man am I glad I live up in the tundra...later alligators!

9 Comments:

Blogger Janelle said...

Cassie had PE tubes put in the week before her first birthday. I was very concerned about the surgery too because that it the last place a mommy wants to see their baby. Suprisingly the surgery was only 5 minutes, not even. No joke. The took Darren and I back and told us what they were going to do, then they took Cassie back to the surgery room and a nurse showed us back to our seats and before I even had time to worry about the surgery, the surgeon came out and said that he was done. The only downside, which was a very bad one, is that for about the first half hour to an hour all Cassie did was scream. I guess that is a side effect of the surgery. We had Dr. Gordon in Grand Forks do the surgery, I recommend him. He's a great ear specialist.

9/22/2005 8:02 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/22/2005 8:05 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

I hope everything goes well!

We just went to the pediatrician yesterday and the doctor said it looks like one eye is a little crossed and if it doesn't straighten out in another month she'll have to see an eye doctor and have surgery. Don't even want to think about that. I just hope it corrects itself.

In your case I'm glad you caught the fluid in her ear soon so that it doesn't interfere with her language development. She's developing really nicely. I love seeing all those photos of her birthday.

9/22/2005 8:07 PM  
Blogger April said...

I know lots of kids that had tubes in their ears.. and they are fine. It isn't that rare actually. As for the talking, your doc probably told you that it may be hearing.. or it could just be that she isn't ready to talk. I think the fact that the only people she is around on a daily basis is you two, she doesn't need to use words, cause you two know how to communicate with her without words... you understand eachothers body language and such. Maybe its time to consider playdates as well??!! I don't know I'm just thowing out ideas here.I hope she doesn't need surgery! Good luck I guess with trying to teach her words!

9/22/2005 8:45 PM  
Blogger Mrs S said...

poor isabella! Not to mention poor mom and dad. Yikes but it'll be great. If that really is the problem with her speech than soon you won't be able to get her to shut up. It happened with one of my cousins.

And wow miss chef. What if I had the talent or ambition to make homemade chicken soup but yum it sounds like a perfect meal for fall.

9/23/2005 2:38 AM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

Janelle- I'm glad to hear that Cassie had tubes in her ears, not that it's a good thing, but it makes me feel better knowing someone else I know had to go through it and it turned out well. Except for the screaming of course, that would make me feel awful.

Rose- I hope Astrid doesn't have to have eye surgery. It makes me so nervous thinking of doctors cutting and messing with babies body parts. I hope she doesn't have to go through that. Do they know what's wrong with her eye? I mean why is it crossed? I hope it fixes itself.

April- The doc did say that the fluid is probably causing her to not pick up on words or sounds very well, so that's more than likely why she's not saying anything. But it could also be because she's not really ready too. I think lots of kids don't really start talking until they are closer to 18 months. The only reason it worries me is because she doesn't say any words at all. I mean she points and says stuff, but it's all just garble to me. And the whole play date thing I completely agree with. It is hard though because we don't know many people with babies. I guess I could walk down the street and make Isabella play with the first baby I see. :) Wouldn't that be funny. This is why you should pop one out pretty quick. By the way, when are you guys going to have a baby? I mean you've been married forever...I joke. :)

Amber- At this point I'm so damn worried that if she started talking non-stop I would be happy as hell. I know it would get old after awhile, but right now I don't care if she kept up all night with her talking.
I don't know if I'm a chef, but I do love to cook. I'm lucky that I grew up with a mom that liked to cook lots of different things so that must be where I got it from. I would've made a great mom from the 1950's. I love to cook, clean, and I'm a stay-at-home mom. Perfect! Well, minus the whole political correctness and Christianity thing. :)

9/23/2005 10:29 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

F.Y.I.
The Chicken Noodle Soup kicked ass.

9/23/2005 7:26 PM  
Blogger Karissa (mommy) said...

and the cider didn't?

9/23/2005 10:32 PM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

Oh yeah, the cider is yummy, too.

9/24/2005 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home