Fahrenheit 9/11
I just finished watching Fahrenheit 9/11. I was very cautious in forming any opinions before I watched it. I have heard how Michael Moore edits his documentarys to sometimes be misleading. And obviously he has a very biased opinion about President Bush. After watching the documentary my negative feelings towards Bush are probably even stronger than before. To me some of the information in the film didn't matter that much. Like Bush's connection to the Bin Laden family. Personally I don't care, but maybe it's because I still don't fully understand it all.
My main focus of my anger is towards the war in Iraq, the troops sent over there, and the citizens of Iraq. I still can't figure out why we are there. I thought it was WMD, but as the war went on we were told that it was to free the Iraqi people. I guess they're still looking for WMD even though they received incorrect information. I guess they somehow think there is a possibility of finding WMD there, but I'm sure they'd find WMD's a lot quicker if they went to North Korea or Iran. I'm assumming they have a good reason for negotiating with North Korea and Iran rather than invading them. Isn't North Korea a dictatorship?? Why shouldn't we invade them to free their people?? Why not Cuba??
Supposedly freeing the Iraqi people would let them be able to do whatever they want without being scared of punishment. How can they do whatever they want without jobs, or with so many dead relatives they can't support their families? I guess with fewer relatives you don't need as much money, so being unemployed probably isn't as bad as if you had your mom, and brother, and daughter to support. How do they live a freer life without electricity? How do they live a freer life without gas for their cars?
I also don't understand why the troops, the people being killed everyday for absolutely no understandable or clear reason, are payed much less than the people who work for large American companys, and are over there building pipelines? I know that they are also in danger, but the troops work 5-7 days and 12, 14, 16 hour days. They are the one's going into terrorists homes and walking down the streets of towns that are just waiting to ambush them. Why is it that when a soldier gets injured they are forgotten? I saw a story about a soldier who had been severely injured in Iraq. He came back to America to get treated. He now lives in his car because he has no money. The military was also trying to get him to pay back thousands of dollars because he didn't finish out his deployment. Even though his deployment ended when he became severely injured that didn't matter. Or the soldier who died in Iraq and his family was sent his last paycheck. They didn't pay him for his last five days of work because he had died. To some degree that makes sense since he didnt' work, but with the billions of dollars being spent on the war would a couple hundred bucks really have mattered to the military? I'm sure it matters to the family who now has to figure out how to pay off the dead soldiers debts, and if he has a family they have to now find a way to support themselves without another income.
To me we should still be focusing our time in Afghanistan and Pakistan looking for Osama Bin Laden. That's where this war should have stayed. Sadaam may possibly have had ties with Osama, but I haven't seen evidence that convinces me he did. Either way it was Osama who set up the entire September 11th tragedy. He should be our main focus. I've heard multiple times Bush saying that Osama isn't really a priority to him. Basically he's saying that if we find him we find him, but if we don't...oh well, we tried.
I know this was a long entry and possibly boring to some people. So to end this I want to tell you my favorite thing Bush has ever said since he became president. He was asked one time where he thought Osama Bin Laden was, he answered, "either dead, in Afghanistan, or some other country." Why he didn't just say that he didn't know where the guy is, is beyond me. I wish I got payed $400,000 a year to say stupid things like Bush.
My main focus of my anger is towards the war in Iraq, the troops sent over there, and the citizens of Iraq. I still can't figure out why we are there. I thought it was WMD, but as the war went on we were told that it was to free the Iraqi people. I guess they're still looking for WMD even though they received incorrect information. I guess they somehow think there is a possibility of finding WMD there, but I'm sure they'd find WMD's a lot quicker if they went to North Korea or Iran. I'm assumming they have a good reason for negotiating with North Korea and Iran rather than invading them. Isn't North Korea a dictatorship?? Why shouldn't we invade them to free their people?? Why not Cuba??
Supposedly freeing the Iraqi people would let them be able to do whatever they want without being scared of punishment. How can they do whatever they want without jobs, or with so many dead relatives they can't support their families? I guess with fewer relatives you don't need as much money, so being unemployed probably isn't as bad as if you had your mom, and brother, and daughter to support. How do they live a freer life without electricity? How do they live a freer life without gas for their cars?
I also don't understand why the troops, the people being killed everyday for absolutely no understandable or clear reason, are payed much less than the people who work for large American companys, and are over there building pipelines? I know that they are also in danger, but the troops work 5-7 days and 12, 14, 16 hour days. They are the one's going into terrorists homes and walking down the streets of towns that are just waiting to ambush them. Why is it that when a soldier gets injured they are forgotten? I saw a story about a soldier who had been severely injured in Iraq. He came back to America to get treated. He now lives in his car because he has no money. The military was also trying to get him to pay back thousands of dollars because he didn't finish out his deployment. Even though his deployment ended when he became severely injured that didn't matter. Or the soldier who died in Iraq and his family was sent his last paycheck. They didn't pay him for his last five days of work because he had died. To some degree that makes sense since he didnt' work, but with the billions of dollars being spent on the war would a couple hundred bucks really have mattered to the military? I'm sure it matters to the family who now has to figure out how to pay off the dead soldiers debts, and if he has a family they have to now find a way to support themselves without another income.
To me we should still be focusing our time in Afghanistan and Pakistan looking for Osama Bin Laden. That's where this war should have stayed. Sadaam may possibly have had ties with Osama, but I haven't seen evidence that convinces me he did. Either way it was Osama who set up the entire September 11th tragedy. He should be our main focus. I've heard multiple times Bush saying that Osama isn't really a priority to him. Basically he's saying that if we find him we find him, but if we don't...oh well, we tried.
I know this was a long entry and possibly boring to some people. So to end this I want to tell you my favorite thing Bush has ever said since he became president. He was asked one time where he thought Osama Bin Laden was, he answered, "either dead, in Afghanistan, or some other country." Why he didn't just say that he didn't know where the guy is, is beyond me. I wish I got payed $400,000 a year to say stupid things like Bush.


2 Comments:
I just wanted to say, as a Canadian, that I am relieved that there are Americans like you, and that there are Americans raising children like you. It's scary for the rest of the world that your country elected a man who thinks nothing of invading other countries. I am glad that you are obviously an intelligent person, not because you support or don't support Bush, but because you have formed intelligent opinions about the situation. I am glad the future generation is in your hands. And by the way, your baby is beautiful, but I'm sure you already know that.
Jay, thanks for the compliments. Also, thanks for taking the time to read my post. I know quite a few people that feel the way I do about Bush. I guess we'll all have to try to live with him for the next four years. I know he's not going to be able to fix the problems I feel he's created, but I hope there's someone that can help him try to improve the situation. I also hope he's smart enough to listen to them.
Post a Comment
<< Home